January 5, 2009

Musical Musing #1509

Kanye West Does Not Care About Poor People


So I honestly love Kanye West, it's true. I think The College Dropout was easily the most influential Hip Hop record of the last 10 years. Not saying it's the best by any means, but to claim that the landscape of mainstream rap would have been the same without that album is downright ign'ant.


Only if Michael Bay takes over for Christopher Nolan, Nelly.

Remember Nelly? You can thank Kanye for Nelly's newest album Brass Knuckles selling something like 60,000 copies.


No new record till I get the red ring.

Remember Lil Jon? You can thank Kanye for helping you forget the sound of a referee whistle on the radio.

Regardless of how you feel about 'ye as a person, you've got to admit that the man has the whole "not givin' a fuck" attitude on lock down. Instead of putting out another rap record, he went with his gut and composed an album about the death of his mother and his break up. He took his recipe for success and turned it on his head. There's not a single soul sample on this record, and only 2 guest verses from Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy. That's like Death Cab for Cutie making a record not meant to be played at Starbucks (ttw: 2 Ben Gibbard: 0).

He's like my Buddha, not a god, but definitely an inspiration on my lifestyle. I have the outlook down, as many of you have experienced first hand that I do not give a fuck about what folks think about me, but still can't take it to the next level because of one reason: Money.

He's disappointed that I'm not rich. Sorry 'ye!

If you've never had the chance of checking out Kanye's blog, do so now (sometimes NSFW):

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/

Kanye (or his assistant) posts some pretty incredible things on here. He hardly ever actually writes anything, but instead fills his blog with shoes, new mp3s, art pieces, modern design, models, and other stuff that costs way too much money. The blog is great, and he's actually posted things before the other major blogs get them (a Justice video if I remember correctly).

But the thing is, I want a lot of this stuff. This clock is amazing! However, going to the designer's site, I am told to email in and ask how much it costs, etc. Yeah, that means it's way too expensive for me. What's the deal, Kanye? Can't you post some stuff within my range? I mean, your music has talked about how you faked it before you got rich, so how about pointing me in the right direction?

Anyway, I guess blogging at work isn't how one makes money...
Victor C.




No comments:

Post a Comment